Friday, January 29, 2010

Feeling a Bit Out of Control

Going into major surgery sure makes me feel out of control! Let’s face it, I’ll be knocked unconscious where I don’t even remember time passing and during that time, someone will open me up and take out a major organ.

I felt I needed to find something to give me some element of control. Something to do in preparation. I emailed some friends who told me about a book I have found really helpful. It’s called Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster. It’s a book and a relaxation CD. The woman who wrote it has a 5 step system for relaxing and specific steps to do before and after surgery to help people recover.

She has tested the methods clinically and the people going through it heal faster, need less time in the hospital and need less pain meds.

I’ve been going through it and it has helped. I can’t attest to whether it works since I have nothing to compare it to. But just having something to work on/focus on has really helped. If you are going to surgery, you may want to check it out.

Anyone have anything they did to help them prepare for surgery?  I'm looking anything specific--no matter how weird or simple.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment