Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What is Kidney Recovery Like?

I’ve heard it’s very similar to recovering from a C section except you get uninterrupted sleep afterwards.

From what I understand, the day after, it hurts to move even your eyeballs. Then you deal with your GI tract starting to wake up. You feel the gas the surgeon used to fill up your abdominal cavity escaping and I hear that is not the most pleasant.

My surgery is on a Monday morning (7 am start) and they told me 40% of people are out on Wednesday, 50% are out on Thursday and 10% on Friday.

10 days after the surgery, I’ll go in for a follow up appointment which I hear people are 50% are doing great and 50% are still healing. By the 2 week mark, you feel pretty good.

Biggest thing is I can’t lift more than 10 lbs (i.e. either of my 2 boys) for 6 weeks. That’ll be the hardest part for me. We wrestle a lot. If you have questions, let me know and I’ll post what I know.

1 comment:

  1. Best wishes for a successful operation and speedy recovery =)

    Oh yes, I DO remember the gut waking up stuff, now that you mention it... recovery gets better every day - 5-7 days out you should feel much better.

    Julie Kiesel

    ReplyDelete