Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Who is Receiving the Kidney?

A few of you have asked who will receive the kidney I'm donating. Well, frankly I don't know. I do know that it will go into person in the operating room next to me within minutes of them taking it out.

For altruistic donations (which is what they call what I'm doing), the hospital has a policy of not having the donor and recipient meet for 6 months after the surgery. This is for a number of reasons. The big one is the recipient sometimes feels a huge weight of reciprocity to the donor. They feel like they owe them and so focus on paying back rather than healing.

Also, this recipient has a friend who will donate their kidney as soon as this recipient gets one. This means that at least 2 people will receive a kidney because of the chain started. Pretty exciting!

More coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment